In this now-classic study, Linda Williams moves beyond the impasse of the anti-porn/anti-censorship debate to analyze what hard-core film pornography is and does—as a genre with a history, as a specific cinematic form, and as part of contemporary discourse on sexuality. For the 1999 edition, Williams has written a new preface and a new epilogue, "On/scenities," illustrated with 25 photographs. She has also added a supplementary bibliography.
Hard Core Power, Pleasure, and the "Frenzy of the Visible", Expanded edition
About the Book
Table of Contents
1. Speaking Sex: "The Indiscreet Jewels"
2. Prehistory: The "Frenzy of the Visible"
3. The Stag Film: Genital Show and Genital Event
4. Fetishism and Hard Core: Marx, Freud,
and the "Money Shot"
5. Generic Pleasures: Number and Narrative
6. Hard-Core Utopias: Problems and Solutions
7. Power, Pleasure, and Perversion: Sadomasochistic
8. Sequels and Re-Visions: "A Desire of
One's Own "