This radical re-reading of Ford's work studies his films in the context of his complex character, demonstrating their immense intelligence and their profound critique of our culture.
1. Prologue: Youth and Apprenticeship
2. First Period (1927-1935): The Age of Introspection
3. Second Period (1935-1947): The Age of Idealism
4. Third Period (1948-1961): The Age of Myth
5. Final Period (1962-1965): The Age of Mortality
Appendix: Grosses and Earnings
Ted Gallagher's articles have appeared in Sight & Sound, Film Comment, Artforum, and many other publications.