Lifelong political activist, psychotherapist, bestselling author, and editor of Tikkun magazine Rabbi Michael Lerner will be appearing at several book events throughout the Midwest and beyond in promotion of his recently released Revolutionary Love: A Political Manifesto to Heal and Transform the World.
Lerner shows that much of the suffering in our society—including the growing embrace of right-wing nationalism and reactionary versions of fundamentalism—is driven by frustrated needs for community, love, respect, and connection to a higher purpose in life. Yet these needs are too often missing from liberal discourse. Lerner details how a civilization infused with love could put an end to global poverty, homelessness, and hunger, while democratizing the economy, shifting to a twenty-eight-hour work week, and saving the life-support system of Earth.
“Peels apart the insidious myths of capitalism that keep people hopeless and apathetic, daring its audience to practice optimism as activism. . . . Filled with big-picture vision, Revolutionary Love is a manifesto for recovering cynics looking for a place to plug in, or for those wrested out of apathy but not sure where to start.”
- Wednesday, January 29—7PM: Magers & Quinn in Minneapolis, MN
- Thursday, January 30—6PM: The Seminary Co-op in Chicago, IL
- Friday, January 31—1:30PM: University of Michigan School of Social Work in Ann Arbor, MI
- Saturday, February 1—7PM: Congregation Kehillat Israel in Lansing, MI
- Sunday, February 2—12:30PM: Swords Into Plowshares Peace Center and Gallery in Detroit, MI
- 3:30 PM: Birmingham Temple Congregation for Humanistic Judaism in Farmington Hills, MI
- Monday, February 3—8PM: Books & Books in Coral Gables, FL