Beginning this Fall, author Maxine Gordon will begin an extensive tour of speaking engagements and presentations around the release of Sophisticated Giant: The Life and Legacy of Dexter Gordon, an official biography of her late husband.
October 25, Thursday, Harry Ransom Center, University of Texas, Austin – 6 PM
- Maxine Gordon introduces the film “Round Midnight” (1986), starring her late husband, jazz saxophonist Dexter Gordon, who received an Oscar nomination for his performance. A book signing will immediately follow the film.
November 1, Thursday, Greenlight Books, 686 Fulton Street, Fort Greene, Brooklyn – 7:30 PM
- Maxine Gordon in conversation with Darryl Pinckney, author of Black Deutschland, High Cotton, and other books.
November 7, Wednesday, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA – 4 PM
- Book discussion with Robin D. G. Kelley, Distinguished Professor and Gary B. Nash Endowed Chair in U.S. History, UCLA.
November 7, Wednesday, Mr. Musichead Gallery, 7420 W. Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA – 7 PM
- Interview and book signing with Robin D. G. Kelley, Distinguished Professor and Gary B. Nash Endowed Chair in U.S. History, UCLA, and LeRoy Downs, Jazz Radio Host & Writer.
November 8, Thursday, Eso Won Books, 4327 Degnan Blvd, Los Angeles, CA – 6–7:30 PM
- Book signing and discussion.
November 9, Friday, World Stage, 432 Degnan Blvd, Los Angeles, CA – 8 PM
- Concert tribute to Dexter Gordon and Billy Higgins.
November 13, Tuesday, McNally Jackson Books, 52 Prince Street, NYC, NY – 7 PM
- Book discussion with Farah Jasmine Griffin, William B. Ransford Professor of English and Comparative Literature and African-American Studies, CUNY, and Fred Moten, Professor of English at the University of California, Riverside.
November 15, Thursday, Busboys and Poets, 2021 14th Street NW (14th & V), Washington, DC – 6:30 PM
- Book discussion with Reuben Jackson, JazzAlive, UDC.
November 19-24, Monday-Saturday, Barcelona Jazz Festival
- Filmoteca screening of Round Midnight, events sponsored by the U.S. Consul in Barcelona.
November 28, Wednesday, Honest Jon’s Records, 278 Portobello Road, London W10 5TE – 7 PM
- Book signing and LP listening session.
December 5, Wednesday, Uncle Bobbie’s Coffee & Books, 5445 Germantown Ave., Philadelphia, PA – 7 PM
- Book signing and discussion with Farah Jasmine Griffin, William B. Ransford Professor of English and Comparative Literature and African-American Studies, CUNY.
December 13, Thursday, Library of Congress, Mary Pickford Theater, James Madison Building, 101 Independence Avenue, SE, Washington, DC – 6:30 PM
- Screening of the film Round Midnight and discussion by Maxine Gordon.
December 18, Tuesday, 92nd Street Y, 1395 Lexington Avenue (btwn. 91st & 92nd Streets), NYC, NY – 12 Noon
- Book signing and discussion.
December 20, Thursday, Clement’s Place, 15 Washington Street, Newark, NJ
- Book discussion and signing with Wayne Winborne, Executive Director, Institute of Jazz Studies, Rutgers University.
Pre-order a copy of the book now and save 30% with discount code 18W8495 (enter at checkout).