Over the past few days, we received an influx of requests from faculty for books that provide context around the tragic events in Charlottesville. We’ve curated the list of titles below. Our hope is that this list serves as a resource for instructors preparing for fall courses, and that the books offer a foundation of understanding for students and readers.
- Inside Organized Racism: Women in the Hate Movement
- Women of the Klan: Racism and Gender in the 1920s
- Being Black, Living in the Red: Race, Wealth, and Social Policy in America, 10th Anniversary Edition, With a New Afterword
- Signs of the Times: The Visual Politics of Jim Crow
- Mean Streets: Chicago Youths and the Everyday Struggle for Empowerment in the Multiracial City, 1908-1969
- How Race Is Made in America: Immigration, Citizenship, and the Historical Power of Racial Scripts
- Poverty in America: A Handbook
- We Demand: The University and Student Protests
- The Other Side of Assimilation: How Immigrants are Changing American Life
- The Weimar Republic Sourcebook
Relevant Forthcoming Titles
- From Fascism to Populism in History
- Race and America’s Long War
- How All Politics Became Reproductive Politics
- Chocolate Cities: The Black Map of American Life
- Healing from Hate: How Young Men Get Into—and Out of—Violent Extremism
Easily and quickly request exam and desk copies online by visiting any of the books’ pages above. If you need assistance in choosing the right texts for your course, we’d be glad to help, contact us here.
For other relevant resources, follow #CharlottesvilleCurriculum and #CharlottesvilleSyllabus, and read the Charlottesville Curriculum.
In response to the #Charlottesville tragedy, we've posted to the UC Press Blog (link in profile) a #CharlottesvilleCurriculum / #CharlottesvilleSyllabus reading list that includes forthcoming books of relevance to help inform and contextualize, along with many previously published titles on "race and America's long war." | #americanhistory #americanstudies #genderstudies #africanamericanstudies #highered #lookitUP #ReadUP