For previous posts in this series, see our Nonstop Metropolis archive.
While the Nonstop Metropolis: The Remix exhibition—a multi-faceted project in collaboration with renowned writer, historian, and activist, Rebecca Solnit—has been up at the Queens Museum since Spring 2016, it continues to evolve. This past weekend was the launch event for Nonstop Metropolis: A New York City Atlas, the culminating volume in a trilogy of atlases. As described by The Village Voice, “…here is Nonstop Metropolis: A New York City Atlas to make these streets magic again. Rebecca Solnit and Joshua Jelly-Schapiro’s collection achieves the trifold purpose that all good cartography does — it’s beautiful, it inspires real thought about civic planning, and, most of all, it’s functional.”
The public event included a hands-on map-making workshop facilitated by Queens Museum educators; “Songs of the City,” a unique mix of songs and music referenced in the book; and drop-in readings of essay excerpts and signings by Rebecca Solnit, Joshua Jelly-Schapiro, Garnette Cadogan, Jonathan Tarleton, and some of the many contributors* in attendance.
📷 A wonderful evening of the book launch event of the wonderful and unique book on Nyc – “Nonstop… https://t.co/NSn13CkXR9
— Peach／Jin Tao 陶晋 (@Peacheeblue) October 3, 2016
To get a copy of Nonstop Metropolis, visit your local bookstore, or purchase online at IndieBound, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or UC Press (to save 30% on ucpress.edu, enter discount code16M4197 at checkout).
To get it signed by the the authors, upcoming Nonstop Metropolis events include:
- Thursday 10/6 – Book Culture, New York, NY
- Monday, 10/10 – 92Y Talks, New York, NY
- Monday, 10/17 – Institute for Public Knowledge, NYU, New York, NY
- Tuesday, 10/18 – LIVE from NYPL, New York NY
- Thursday, 10/20 – BookCourt, Brooklyn, NY
- Monday, 10/24 – Rizzoli Bookstore, New York, NY
- Wednesday, 10/26 – Columbia University – Miller Theater, New York, NY
- Thursday 11/10 – ALOUD – Library Foundation of Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA
- Monday, 11/14 – Eberhard Center, Grand Valley State University, Allendale, MI
- Thursday, 11/17 – McRosky Mattress Company with The Green Arcade, San Francisco, CA
- Monday, 12/5 – Moe’s Books, Berkeley, CA
- Wednesday, 12/7 – City Lights, San Francisco, CA
- Monday, 12/12 – City Arts & Lectures, San Francisco, CA
Nonstop Metropolis: A New York City Atlas is the final volume in our trilogy of atlases by Rebecca Solnit, Joshua Jelly-Schapiro, Rebecca Snedeker, and a host of notable contributors. Following the publication of the critically lauded Infinite City (San Francisco) and Unfathomable City (New Orleans), we bring you this homage—and challenge—to the way we know New York City, an exquisitely designed and gorgeously illustrated atlas that excavates the many buried layers of all five boroughs of New York City and parts of New Jersey.
* The full list of contributors to Nonstop Metropolis: Sheerly Avni, Gaiutra Bahadur, Marshall Berman, Joe Boyd, Will Butler, Garnette Cadogan, Thomas J. Campanella, Daniel Aldana Cohen, Teju Cole, Joel Dinerstein, Paul La Farge, Francisco Goldman, Margo Jefferson, Lucy R. Lippard, Barry Lopez, Valeria Luiselli, Suketu Mehta, Emily Raboteau, Molly Roy, Sharifa Rhodes-Pitts, Luc Sante, Heather Smith, Jonathan Tarleton, Astra Taylor, Alexandra T. Vazquez, Christina Zanfagna, plus interviews with Valerie Capers, Peter Coyote, Grandmaster Caz, Grand Wizzard Theodore, Melle Mel, and RZA.