Those opposed to the teaching of evolution often make well-rehearsed claims about the science that sound powerful and convincing. And many people who support the teaching of evolution—students, teachers, parents, administrators—do not have the background to respond. They know that scientists have thoroughly dismantled these arguments, but they don't have a handy way of responding to these attacks. The Counter-Creationism Handbook is a one-stop resource for addressing over 400 of the most prevalent claims made by creationists. Each claim is followed by a succinct and scientifically valid rebuttal, and the book includes print and on-line resources for further reading and information.
The Counter-Creationism Handbook:
* Covers claims made about the disciplines of philosophy, biology, paleontology, geology, astronomy, physics and mathematics, history, and more.
* Addresses the claims of Biblical creationism, intelligent design creationism, and some creationism based on non-Christian religions.
* Includes an introduction on how to address creationists in different venues, how to deal with novel claims, and why accurate science is important.
* Is organized thematically, with extensive cross-referencing.
How to Use This Book
List of Creationist Claims
1. Philosophy and Theology
Foundation of Knowledge
Theory of Science
Physiology and Anatomy
Behavior and Cognition
Ecology and Population Biology
Geophysics and Plate Tectonics
5. Astronomy and Cosmology
Planets and Solar System
Sun and Stars
6. Physics and Mathematics
Second Law of Thermodynamics and Information Theory
First Law of Thermodynamics
7. Miscellaneous Antievolution
8. Biblical Creationism
Biblical Creationism Generally
Age of the Universe
Death and the Fall
Miscellaneous Young-Earth Creationism
9. Intelligent Design
ID as Science
10. Other Creationism
Native North American Creationism
Mark Isaak has written numerous articles on the creation/evolution debate. He is the editor of the "Index of Creationist Claims" on the acclaimed website www.talkorigins.org.
“An excellent new resource.”—Gerry Rising Buffalo News
"Mark Isaak's book is thorough, up-to-date, readable, well argued, and clear. It provides citations for every argument or claim that is made about the usually inaccurate claims of anti-evolutionists. Indispensable and fair, it should be welcomed by all interested in these questions."—Kevin Padian, Museum of Paleontology, University of California